Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Accordion Books with Dorsey Hogg

It was so exciting to see Dorsey Hogg's body of work at February's meeting with the Book Arts Guild of Vermont.  Intricate and architectural, Dorsey's work generates a lot of oooooh's and aaaaaah's.  Some of her pieces are monochromatic, like the dictionary accordions.  And others, using comics or upcycled posters are incredibly vibrant.

Because Dorsey's works appear so complicated, I was thrilled to learn her "secret" to making the interlocking pieces.  Here is the little book I created during our workshop.

The front cover for my accordion book.
Interlocking pieces create a floral motif, visible when
the book is splayed open and lying on it's open covers.
A better view of the poster pieces as they interlock.
I had one gold strip and one blue strip to work with.

2 comments:

Blue Roof Designs said...

Looking good! I still haven't finished mine. Johnny Depp awaits...

Amy L. Burns said...

Oh goodness!